Measles Advice Update
PLEASE NOTE THE MEASLES IMMUNISATION CLINIC AT COMPREHENSIVE CARE ON SATURDAY 14TH SEPTEMBER HAS BEEN CANCELLED DUE TO A LACK IN SUPPLY OF VACCINES
Free Measles Immunisation
(for people aged 1-49 years of age who have not had an MMR vaccine)
Saturday 14 September
9.00am - 3.30pm
Comprehensive Care, Building A,
42 Tawa Drive
For more details and booking, please follow the link below.
As you will know from media reports, cases of measles are continuing to rise especially in Auckland and in particular South Auckland.
We know that having one vaccine gives us 95% immunity which is sufficient to protect you from measles in this current epidemic.
We know that it takes approximately 2 weeks to obtain full immunity effect from the vaccine after it has been given.
We know that babies under 6 months of age still have protection from their mother – either from pregnancy or breastfeeding.
The advice to all medical practices in regard to MMR vaccination is stated as follows:-
- Please vaccinate those without proof of immunity to measles, as long as there are no contraindications. This is preferred to requesting serology (blood tests).
- Please bring forward the first MMR dose from 15 months to 12 months (and include the other 15 month. vaccinations at the same time). Provide the second MMR as scheduled at 4 years.
- Vaccinate any child under 5 years (and over 12 months) who has not had one MMR vaccination.
- Offer catch up MMR vaccination to anyone aged 5 to 50 years without a known history of one vaccine dose.
- As an adult if you work with children, and have only had one vaccine of MMR, then it is advisable to get a second vaccine.
Vaccination of children 6-12 months:-
- Essentially if you are worried about the safety of your young infant the advice is to come and discuss the situation with your GP. If you seek vaccination this this can be done, although it is seen as an extra vaccine. The child will still need the 12-15 month vaccination and also the booster at 4 years of age.
If you have any concerns you have been in contact with measles, or just want advice, please ring either:-
- 09 623 4600 (Auckland Regional Public Health Service)
- 0800 611 116 (HealthLine)
- Apollo Medical Centre 09 477 3700